LLFS News and Media
Long life study explores genetics of extreme longevity.
December 5, 2019
In reference to: Fagan, E, Sun, F, Bae, H, Elo, I, Andersen, S, Lee, J, Christensen, K, Thyagarajan, B, Sebastiani, P, Perls, T, Honig, L, Schupf, N. Telomere length is longer in women with late maternal age. Menopause: May 2017, 24 (5) 497-50. PMID: 27922939 PMCID: PMC5403597. [Note that this paper was published in the last reporting period, however the following media reports were published after June, 2017]
- This Type of Mom Is More Likely to Live to Age 95 or Older https://www.popsugar.com/moms/Moms-Who-Have-Kids-Later-Live-Longer-44985960. June 28, 2018 by YourTango Christine Schoenwald. Sebastiani and her team analyzed data from the Long Life Family Study, a survey of 551 families, many of whose members lived well into their …
- Mães aos 33 anos podem chegar aos 95 anos https://www.paimoderno.com/saude-e-desenvolvimento/maes-aos-33-anos-podem-chegar-aso-95-anos July 4, 2018 by Pai Moderno. Para chegar a conclusão, o estudo usou dados do “Long Life Family Study”, um estudo genético realizado com 551 famílias com vários membros que viveram …
- Having A Baby At This Age Means You Could Actually Live Longer Women’s Health–July 27, 2017. Having babies later in life? You might have a longer life, too. The Long Life Family study found that compared to mums who have their last kid at 29, women who have their last child past the age of 33 have twice the chance of living up to the top fifth percentile.
- Women Who Have Their 1st Child In Their 30s May Live Longer, Study …https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/08/03/women-first-child-later_a_23063179/ 08/03/2017 (Chloe Tejada) … improve their own chances of living longer,” study author Thomas Perls, director of the New England …
- Why women live longer than men — and how men will benefit from it Boston Globe April 13, 2018 (Bernard Warner) https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2018/04/13/why-women-live-longer-than-men-and-how-men-will-benefit-from/Iz0Dd4wcGxMdlU46IVE01H/story.html
In reference to: Bae H, Gurinovich A, Malovini A, Atzmon G, Andersen SL, Villa F, Barzilai N, Puca A, Perls TT, Sebastiani P. Effects of FOXO3 Polymorphisms on Survival to Extreme Longevity in Four Centenarian Studies, The Journals of Gerontology: Series A, , 2017 Oct; 72(11): 1453–1464 glx124, https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glx124 PMC5861867
- Genetic influence on aging into the 90s but not beyond — ScienceDaily https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170718142903.htm Jul 18, 2017 – Effects of FOXO3 polymorphisms on survival to extreme longevity in four centenarian studies. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A, 2017; DOI: …
- Association of the FOXO3A Locus with Extreme Longevity in a … https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/rej.2008.0827 We validated the association of FOXO3A polymorphisms with extreme longevity in males from the Southern Italian Centenarian Study. Particularly, rs2802288, a …
- New findings suggest a genetic influence on aging into the 90s but not … https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-07-genetic-aging-90s.html Jul 18, 2017 – … The Longevity Genes Project at Albert Einstein College of Medicine; and the National Institutes on Aging-funded Long Life Family Study.
- New findings suggest a genetic influence on aging into the 90s but not … https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-07/osu-nfs071817.php July 18, 2017. CORVALLIS, Ore. – Variants of a gene thought to be linked to longevity appear to influence aging into the 90s, but do not appear to affect exceptional longevity, or aging over 100, a new study has found.
In reference to the Long Life Family Study, generally:
- Centenarians celebrate a century of sunrises at Houston’s Clarewood … Chron.com–Mar 28, 2018. https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Centenarians-celebrate-a-century-of-sunrises-at-12786305.php The New England Centenarian Study and a sister inquiry with which Perls is associated, the Long Life Family Study, is searching for biological …
- Dr. Thomas Perls (BU, Slowing Aging Process) | WRKO AM 680 https://wrkoam.entercom.acsitefactory.com/media/audio-channel/dr-thomas-perls-bu-slowing-aging-process
In reference to: Fagan E, Sun F, Bae H, Elo I, Andersen SL, Lee J, Christensen K, Thyagarajan B, Sebastiani P, Perls T, Honig LS, Schupf N. Telomere length is longer in women with late maternal age. Menopause (New York, NY). 2016. Epub 2016/12/07. doi: 10.1097/gme.0000000000000795. PubMed PMID: 27922939.
- New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity … https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161207092901.htm
Dec 7, 2016 – New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity. Telomere length associated with rate of aging, maternal age at birth of last child.
- New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity
https://medicalxpress.com › Medical research
Dec 7, 2016 – A new study, however, identifies one possible predictor—specifically, telomere length. This has been linked to longevity, as well as the ability to …
- New Study Identifies Possible Predictor for Women’s Longevity
New Study Identifies Possible Predictor for Women’s Longevity. Published: December 7, 2016. Released by The North American Menopause Society (NAMS).
- Next New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity
womenshealthblog.org › Health
Dec 13, 2016 – A brand new study, nevertheless, identifies one possible predictor – particularly, telomere size. This has been linked to longevity, in addition to …
- New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity –
Dec 10, 2016 – Brand-new study recognizes possible predictor for ladies’ durability
- New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity
Friday, December 9, 2016 1:00:00 AM New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity. Death and taxes have long been said to be the only two …
- New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity – Pinterest
- New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity: Telomere length associated with rate of aging, maternal age at birth of last child — ScienceDaily.
- New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity – Life …
Dec 9, 2016 – Death and taxes have long been said to be the only two things guaranteed in life. Exactly when someone will die, in most instances, remains a …
- New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity …
New study identifies possible predictor for women’s longevity. Dec 09, 2016 Elder Care Resources Michigan Senior Care News 0 …
In reference to the Long Life Family Study, generally:
- Want to live past 100? Centenarians share their secrets. By Sharon Jayson, Kaiser Health News and USA Today. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/03/22/kaiser-want-live-past-100-centenarians-share-their-secrets/99510052/
More of us are living past 100; here’s how to join the club
Philly.com-Mar 28, 2017
John Henderson and his wife of 77 years, Charlotte, live in Austin in the …. a National Institute on Aging study called the Long Life Family Study.
In reference to: Sebastiani P, Thyagarajan B, Sun F, Schupf N, Newman AB, Montano M, Perls TT. Biomarker signatures of aging. Aging Cell 2017. pp1-10. Doi: 10.111/acel.12557.PMID: 28058805. PMCID: PMC5334528
- Biomarker Patterns in Blood Predict Healthy Aging | Research
Jan 6, 2017 – In all, the researchers generated 26 different predictive biomarker signatures. Instances where similar biomarker data were available from the …
- How Well Are You Aging? This Blood Test May Tell You – Live Science
www.livescience.com › Health
Jan 6, 2017 – A new study in the journal Aging Cell presents evidence for a series of … Indeed, a new study finds that certain “biomarker signatures” in the …
- Biomarker Signatures of Aging | www.bioquicknews.com
Jan 7, 2017 – Levels of specific biomarkers found in the blood can be combined to produce patterns that signify how well a person is aging and his or her risk …
- Biomarker signatures of aging – FoundMyFitness
Biomarker signatures of aging aging biomarkers onlinelibrary.wiley.com … mortality after adjusting for lifestyle factors. aging mortality nutrition sciencedaily.com.
- Biomarker signatures of aging. – F1000Prime – Faculty of 1000
f1000.com › F1000Prime › Article Recommendations
Jan 6, 2017 – The idea of this study was to use Big Data to define biomarker profiles for different trajectories of human aging. The report thus employed an …
- Biomarker Signatures Predict Aging Health Quality – molecular …
https://www.labmedica.com › molecular-diagnostics
Jan 17, 2017 – A panel of 19 biomarkers in the blood was utilized to create molecular signatures that are able to predict how well an individual is aging and …
- Blood Biomarker Patterns That Predict Healthy Aging Identified
Jan 17, 2017 – A set of biomarker signatures that suggest how well a person is aging and the risk foraging-related diseases has been identified by …
- One little drop of your blood may someday predict how long you’ll live …
Apr 15, 2017 – The Washington Post …. A recent attempt to do just that was described this year in the journal Aging Cell by Paola Sebastiani, a biostatistician at the Boston University School of Public Health. Her subjects were members of the Long Life Family Study — 5,000 people in 550 families with a predilection for longevity….
In reference to: Paola Sebastiani, Anastasia Gurinovich, Harold Bae, Stacy Andersen, Alberto Malovini, Gil Atzmon, Francesco Villa, Aldi T. Kraja, Danny Ben-Avraham, Nir Barzilai, Annibale Puca, Thomas T. Perls. Four Genome-Wide Association Studies Identify New Extreme Longevity Variants. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A, 2017; DOI: 10.1093/gerona/glx027
- New genetic variants associated with extreme old age
April 27, 2017 – New genetic variants associated with extreme old age. The search for the genetic determinants of extreme longevity has been challenging, with the prevalence of centenarians (people older than 100) just one per 5,000 population in developed nations. But a recently published study that combines four studies of extreme longevity, has identified new rare variants in chromosomes 4 and 7 associated with extreme survival and with reduced risks for cardiovascular and Alzheimer’s disease.
In reference to: Pedersen JK, Elo IT, Schupf N, Perls TT, Stallard E, Yashin AI, Christensen K. The Survival of Spouses Marrying Into Longevity-Enriched Families. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017 Jan;72(1):109-114. Epub 2016 Aug 18.
- Want to Live to 100? Centenarians’ Tips for a Long, Long, Long Life
Newsweek-Apr 2, 2017
The study explained that “living with one’s spouse at the oldest ages … a National Institute on Aging study called the Long Life Family Study.
Prior to 2016
Women having babies later in life more likely to live longer | EurekAlert! Science News Public Release: 25-Jun-2014 Women having babies later in life more likely to live longer. Nested, case-control study confirms association between older maternal age at birth of last child and exceptional longevity. The North American Menopause Society (NAMS).
Study examines cognitive impairment in families with exceptional longevity | EurekAlert! Science News Public Release: 6-MAY-2013 A study by Stephanie Cosentino, Ph.D., of Columbia University, New York, and colleagues examines the relationship between families with exceptional longevity and cognitive impairment consistent with Alzheimer’s disease.
Chromosomal Location of Exceptional Memory Identified. MedicalResaerch.com Interview with: Sandra Barral Rodriguez, Ph.D. (Common genetic variants on 6q24 associated with exceptional episodic memory performance in the elderly. Barral S, et al. JAMA Neurol 2014;71:1514-1519). https://medicalresearch.com/genetic-research/chromosomal_location_of_exceptional_memory_identified/9560/?print=pdf
Those with more lifespan also have more healthspan. Researchers compared the health-spans of older generation subjects of the Long Life Family Study (LLFS) to controls without family history of longevity and to centenarians of the New England Centenarian Study (NECS) using Bayesian parametric survival analysis.
- Don’t abstain: Secret of the genetically gifted. Updated December 31, 2014 3:38 PM
By ANNE MICHAUD firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.newsday.com/opinion/columnists/anne-michaud/don-t-abstain-secret-of-the-genetically-gifted-anne-michaud-1.9763538
- A GOOD AGE: Six of the Hurlburt siblings are going strong – See more at: https://www.patriotledger.com/article/20140506/News/140507864#sthash.fUZctflL.dpuf
- Anne Michaud. Stay curious, exercise moderation – and live long. January 4, 2014 https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jan/04/anne-michaud-stay-curious-exercise-moderation-and/
- Cr Nelson. New Freeport woman turning 106 years old. Observer-Reporter. January 28, 2014. https://www.observer reporter.com/article/20140128/NEWS02/140129302
- Over 85s Age Differently And Aging Research Should Not Neglect Them The Longevity Reporter, SEPTEMBER 11, 2015 https://www.longevityreporter.org/blog/2015/9/8/anti-aging-old